What makes Blacksmith different is what we are not. We are not a normal bike shop. Sorry. Yes, we technically sell bikes. But what we really do is design and execute complicated machinery - a bicycle - to a customer's exacting needs, down to the finest details. Be it a fitting, custom geometry design, mechanical service, complete bike sales, or custom wheelset upgrades, if you are a serious cyclist in Toronto or anywhere around the world, we want to work for you.
We think of ourselves as dream enablers, allowing our customers to discover their very own "perfect" bike through our ability to leverage great fit, with design, component and geometry consultation that is literally second to no place in the world. And with experience building and shipping bikes for customers around the planet, no location is too far for a little radness from Blacksmith Cycle.
With the absolute finest selection of handbuilt and race brands on the planet, relationships with almost every high-end component brand on the planet, plus our experiences building hundreds of fully custom bicycles with these amazing people, we are confident that we can be the missing ingredient to help turn you bike experiences from good, or even great, to life altering. So email us or simply drop in today to start the journey.
What is the Blacksmith Cycle process??
First, our usual bike-purchasing method...
1. Consultation by email, in-person, phone, as-needed, includes:
- Questionnaire and analysis of current geometry / position / riding style / needs
- Discussion of new bike options, features, specs, etc., some geometry analysis
- Basic quote for a price on the bike in question, with any adjustments requested
- In-person or out-of-town fit-options planned and fill out our Questionnaire!!
2. Deposit taken in USD by clicking HERE or in CAD through Square, which:
- Secures your build spot with your builder of choice (including expected delivery)
- Starts the design - geometry, paint and specs for your bike are decided
3. Final steps and payment:
- Build quote is also finalized based on final specs and components chosen
- Initial components are ordered, especially hard-to-find items or custom requests
- 2nd payment due 2-4 weeks before shipping for final parts to be ordered
- Final payment due before frameset arrival, prior to final build/delivery.
The process in more detail...
1. Initial consultation - 45 minutes to 2 hours - get to meet Mike or Jesse and discuss your needs and dreams, in person, by phone, or by email. We will talk about your current bike and your desires, fit or physiological challenges, budget, intended riding style, past preferences, future technologies and much more.
2. Fitting process - 2 to 4 hours - using our analog or Retul 3D motion capture fit to determine your ideal bike size with Mike himself.
3. Bike consultation - together we decide on the best combination for you by considering riding style, geometry requirements, aesthetic preferences, ride quality aims, technological options, etc. The goal? Find your exact dream bike.
4. Build consultation - once we decide on a frameset, we will spend major time sweating your bespoke build options, including choice of groups, components, wheels, saddle and more. We are very generous with our demo program so our customers are always confident that they are making the right choice, and we stay cutting edge with the very latest component options at all times.
5. Final build and fit - both free with your complete bike, we tweak your final position together before adjusting your fit right down to the angle of your hoods, the way you like your saddle to sit, and how we tape your bars!
6. Follow-up consultations - up to 2 tune-ups or fit sessions to ensure you are completely satisfied.
7. Support - aside from manufacturer warranties, Blacksmith offers our own crash-replacement policy: any replacement bike from any brand for 35% below MSRP. So get our there and ride the hell out of your new rig!
8. Community - join us for Saturday 9 am group rides, our yearly Northern Pass
charity ride, or drop by for a chat anytime...you are now part of the Blacksmith Cycle family.
Our fitting methodology represents a best practice approach incorporating both leading academic methods and technological advantages, all focused on your comfort, power and efficiency as a rider, mastered over hundreds of bike fits on athletes of all sizes, focuses and levels of fitness. But more than that, we aren’t happy until you are. We use Juteau-Cantin industry-specific tools for fitting, made in Canada, plus our Retul digital system when required.
Initial Consultation – FREE
Drop in or book a conversation to begin the Blacksmith process…we discuss your current or last bike, typical riding goals, budget, stylistic desires, modern component and spec options, and more to embark on the proper path to find your dream bike, and also to determine which of the below fitting methods are right for you.
Detailed 16-point Analog Fit – $150
Based on your body type, proportions, flexibility and intended riding style, we can determine your approximate bike size, and also provide feedback in the form of some detailed geometry trends you should look for (or avoid) when purchasing a new bike from us or elsewhere. Think of this as your 16-point inspection followed by an emailed fit report. Approx. 1.5 hours.
Analog fit + Geometry Consult – $300 or $150 with ANY bike purchase
Formula based approach based on Q&A, measurements, physiological analysis, morphology, strengths and goals. Includes body and flexibility assessment, examination of current riding position, and changes to cleat, saddle and cockpit positioning for improvement in comfort, power and aerodynamics. Extensive geometry draft session to help find your ideal bike size and type, down to the most detailed of angles and dimensions. 2-3 hours.
Blacksmith Adaptation Bike and Fit Report - FREE with ANY bike purchase
Simulate your dream bike with an actual ride on our advanced geometry adaptation bike before signing off on your purchase. This device ensures our custom geometry bikes are exactly ideal for you. Plus, our follow-up written fit report breaks down our plans in detail for you to review and consider.
Retul motion capture fit – $200 add-on as deemed necessary
Includes detailed motion capture fit using Retul, including advanced foot + knee, saddle + cockpit positioning, bike position capture and full geometry and “future” bike consultation included.
Power Trainer Sessions - $50 per hour with packages available
Power training on the most advanced trainer system in the world, direct mount so there is no wear on your rear wheel and tire.
Remote Fit Sessions and Report - $150 on top of any custom frameset order or FREE any complete bike purchase
Using photo and video fit sessions, we can work with customers around the world to determine their ideal fit coordinates and other specific needs. This service is only available to customers purchasing a bicycle and also includes any CAD drawings or similar geometry renderings.
Email, call or drop-in to start the process today.